Thursday, May 10, 2012

Meal Plans?

An article on one of my favorite sites explains how you should be breaking down your diet on a good workout plan.  So I thought I would give it a shot and at least compare what I am doing to what I should be doing. Here is the link if you want to try it out for yourselves.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/how-to-create-a-bodybuilding-diet.html
So here’s how it works. Use the calculator here to determine how many calories you should be taking in per day. This is a common calculation and worked out the same for the My Fitness Pal mobile app.  Next you break down the calories into 30% protein, 50% carbs, and 20% protein.  (Yea I was never a big fan of Atkins either) turn the calories into grams (use the site) and then divide each one by the number of meals per day.

For me that was 2500 cals per day
Protein 750 = 187.5g
Carbs 1250 = 312.5g
Fat 500 = 56g

At 6 meals per day (which is about what you should be doing to keep your metab up and gain more nutrients from what your eating) My Per meal is

P 31.5
C 52
F 9.3

What I like best about the article is whether you buy into the numbers or not there is a nice long list on the best places to get your healthy Proteins, Carbs, and fats.

Based on this it looks like I’m getting what I need from the right areas but I’m over doing it it the fat section and not getting quite enough in the protein area.  Considering the new workout routine I’m trying this might be an issue.  Another interesting fact is that fat slows down the digestion process so the meal/snack/supplement you have after a workout should contain as little fat as possible.  Point being that while you might feel nice and manly after pumping serious iron at the gym your not helping yourself by having a big steak.  My issue is that I mix my protein with skim milk that has less fat in it but it’s still there.
I also did some research on body fat percentage and was told that once a week was not to often even though my gym says once a month. hmmmm  Wonder they are just tired of seeing me shirtless?  Oh well.  I also found that the caliper system isn’t the most reliable and changes dramatically when you change who is performing the test.  My last test said 14% and the one before that 17% only a month before but with a different person.  I didn’t even bother tracking it.  At least if you stay with the same person you know what direction your going in.  So my new and more precise goal (for now is to gain weight while lowering body fat percentage or at least keeping it the same.  Once I bulk a little I can break out the Insanity videos again and slim down in a hurry.  At least it worked that way last time.

/Actuator/

No comments:

Post a Comment