Sunday, May 13, 2012

Bulldozer training and yoga?

So I started a new training routine this week.  I found the listing on MuscleandStrength.com which if I haven't mentioned before is one of my favorite sites for finding workouts, exercise explanations and videos and other such fitness related material.  This plan in particular is called Bulldozer Training and it is based on the rest-pause method of training. This method suggests that the rests between reps be minimal and that the goal should not be a weight or a number of repetitions per set but the number of repetitions overall.  For example you do as many repetitions in 4 sets as you can if you meet the goal number of repetitions you raise the weight NEXT WEEK.  While I tweaked the weight a little bit this first go round the next time I know what I can and can not do.  I like this method because it makes sure I get the most out of my time at the gym.  Even still I ended up talking to someone in the middle of a routine and it threw me all off.  It and I are works in progress.

One thing I wasn't crazy about on this workout was the compound movement exercises have a different set up.  For exercises like squats and dead lifts that use a number of different muscles, you do a many sets of 1 as you can in 10 minutes with the goal of doing 15.  This means you should be getting less than 15.  I thought this was crazy talk that I would never get anything out of waiting that long in between sets.  It's the exact opposite of the rest of the training.  Be that as it may I did this for squats on Thursday and I'm just now able to walk normal again.  But damn if my legs aren't a little bigger already.

That leads me into the next part.  I have been considering trying yoga for a while now but never seem to get started.  A big inspiration for this was a YouTube video about a disabled war vet that was told he would never walk again.  The most interesting part about this was that even though the instructor that agreed to work with him is called out in the video it looks like the majority of the training done was at home in from of the TV.  If this guy can get there anyone can.  That said I did a little research on another video and realized that a lot of these yoga moves and poses are really just stretches that I had been doing for a while now. It doesn't hurt that all these yoga videos are good looking women in tight fitting cloths that can bend in ways that.....(ahem).  Back on topic, since I could barely walk I decided it might now be a bad idea to try this out.  So I've been doing a 5 or 10 minute set of stretches and yoga poses and I think it's helped.  I'm going to be borrowing a couple started DVDs from a friend and see how far I want to go with this.  There are actually ways to do do strength training with yoga and get flexibility, stability, and muscle control out of it as well.  I'll be looking forward to that training.

For those who were looking for more food information I am trying to "eat clean" as much as possible.  Trying to stay away from the obviously chemical based foods like soda and cool whip and anything that doesn't contain a single work on the label that you can pronounce. My biggest shocker was that after I did that meal breakdown I've been trying to do out a meal plan that will allow me to meet it but I keep coming up short.  It is getting me to look at nutrition labels for more than just the calories which is a step in the right direction.  If you remember if I'm doing the 6 meals a day 1 meal is only supposed to contain 9 grams of fat. I found out today that 1 normal hotdog HAS 11!!  I've still got a refrigerator full of those and I hate throwing food away.

I still have some thoughts on dandelion tea and flavors of clean eating but once again it is way to late so it's time to head to bed.  If you enjoy these, if they are helping, or if you just like the links and laughing at the kid running in circles trying to get healthy please let me know.  While I think this is helping me keep with it, it's always nice to know someone is benefiting.

/Actuator/

No comments:

Post a Comment